homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:59:32 -0800

Yes, Indonesian law does have a bearing on U.S. citizenship. To become an Indonesian citizen you have to give up any other citizenship. Which is why the Indonesian passport came up. If he used an Indonesian passport after he turned 18, then he is not a U.S. citizen.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

Has Obama said he's adopted? Is it in his books? I haven't read them. I
think we need to differentiate what Obama himself says from what others say
about him.

I don't think that is true. Indonesian law has no bearing on US citizenship;
only the US can determine that. Someone who marries a foreigner is still a
US citizen unless they choose to legaly give it up:
From the US State Department website (
http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html ):

"In some countries, marriage to a national of that country will
automatically make the spouse either a citizen of that country or eligible
to become naturalized in that country expeditiously. The automatic
acquisition of a second nationality will not affect U.S. citizenship.
However, naturalization in a foreign country on one''s own application or
the application of a duly authorized agent may cause the loss of American
citizenship. Persons planning to apply for a foreign nationality should
contact an American embassy or consulate for further information."

I assume that "automatic acquisition" applies to adoption as well. If he was
born a citizen, he's still a citizen unless he has renounced citizenship.