homestead - Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:09:51 -0800

If you haven't used the pressure canner in 20 years, you might want to go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ and do an update. LOTS has changed in recommendations since then.

And for parts, these guys are good and have them for just about every cooker and canner out there. http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/cannerparts.htm Also, Ace Hardware usually has them all or will order them.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Chinese Pole Beans a/k/a Asparagus Bean

40 tomato plants. What kind?

Are you canning and what kind of yield in terms of canned quarts?

I just pulled my pressure canner out to test for safety since I haven't canned in some 20 years. Even though the rubber gasket & safety seal appear in excellent condition, I could tell as the pressure raised the safety seal wasn't sealing. So off to the store to order replacements. Bob, I think you were asking about pressure canners before. I can zap a .pdf to you of a page or two from my book that might help. It has the adjustments for pressure for altitude (for dial type pressure canners), and adjustments for weight for pressure canners that have 5,10,15 pound weights for altitude, etc.

Also, I remember from a long time ago, that the pressure canner instructions, long since misplaced, advised to NOT cook (unjared) food in the pressure canner, to only use it to pressure can, and to use a food pressure cooker for cooking meals. So I always had 2 canners, one for preserving, one for just plain old cooking.