homestead - Re: [Homestead] was DIY now- dog in garden

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was DIY now- dog in garden
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:10:10 -0800 (PST)

Don , I just finished reading your blog. The table saw stuff was
interesting........

You showed apicture of your garden bed (which looks ready to plant) but said
your dog ruined it. I'm assuming the dog dug up all of the germinated seed?

When I cut greens, the dog follows me around and will chew the freshly cut
stubs of the greens. I think she is just trying to show that she likes what
Im like.

Also, being a hunt terrier, she is a real digger. Generally, I don't have a
problem in the garden spaces, though, she seems to prefer digging through the
concrete-hard caliche; not the plowed and improved soil.

But, once, I was planting tomato bushes and watering them slowly as I
covered them with soil and compost. She must have seen a bug because the
next thing I knew she was head and shoulder deep in what used to be a freshly
planted tomato -- there was not even a leaf left; but that was a one time
event.

If she is 'running' , just for fun, she will run right over the plants, but
because of her size she does hardly any damage, and she has her primary
'trails' cut therough the yard, where she habituallty runs.

Anyway, I hopw you can get re-planted and teach the dog not to dig