homestead - Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:23:59 -0500

bobf wrote:
I just finished planting 3 sixpacks of bushbean plants that I bought
at our best local Nursery, yesterday afternoon. Also, planted sveral
yellow, red, and green bell sweet peppers (4 " pots). I have used up
most of my garden spaces, already and haven't even got my box of seed
from gurneys. I intend to plant quite a few okra, and I will plant
it all from seed.

I'm sorry..let me make sure I understand this...out where you are, you can buy bean plants by the pack???
Here, we can buy cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants by the pack, but not beans or okra.

To digress, though. When I went to the nursery , yersterday, things
seemed strange, out and about. The city and traffic was busy , as
usal, but, thwe stores were "dead".

People just paid their credit card bills from the Christmas spending and many people are saving up to pay taxes. Many people are probably waiting for their tax refund to come in before they make purchases, too.

Maybe this is typical for a Friday afternoon ? I don't know. But,
Sears would have been better off to Shut the doors, and most of the
other stores looked the same.

Our nearest Sears, over in Rome, is the same as you describe, but that isn't really a new thing here. I heard speculation that Sears/KMart was hurting and that they would be lucky to make it through 2009.

I went from Sears to my nursery, a few city blocks away, and it was
jammed packed. Now, the vast majority of pweople were buying flowers
and shrubs and other ornamentals, but more people than normal were
hanging out in the vegetable section.

The owner of our local feed and seed store said that more folks were gardening-said she had to reorder seed already, and they sold out of their pack plants in 2 days.

Bev

--

EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia