homestead - Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:20:59 -0800 (PST)

Chinese Pole Beans a/k/a Asparagus Bean

40 tomato plants.  What kind?

Are you canning and what kind of yield in terms of canned quarts?

I just pulled my pressure canner out to test for safety since I haven't
canned in some 20 years.  Even though the rubber gasket & safety seal appear
in excellent condition, I could tell as the pressure raised the safety seal
wasn't sealing.  So off to the store to order replacements.  Bob, I think you
were asking about pressure canners before.  I can zap a .pdf to you of a page
or two from my book that might help.  It has the adjustments for pressure for
altitude (for dial type pressure canners), and adjustments for  weight for
pressure canners that have 5,10,15 pound weights for altitude, etc.

Also, I remember from a long time ago, that the pressure canner instructions,
long since misplaced, advised to NOT cook (unjared) food in the pressure
canner, to only use it to pressure can, and to use a food pressure cooker for
cooking meals.  So I always had 2 canners, one for preserving, one for just
plain old cooking.

BobF<<<winter -- if I am still here?? >>>>

BTW, I've been thinking 3 years window before TSHTF.... but yesterday
listened to a radio show, and the thinking is hyperinflationary effects may
start to appear earlier (as in a year).  From a person who acknowledges
depression currently.  Personally, I was thinking it wouldn't get underway
until the mortgage defaults etc wind up, that the banks would hoard to gov't
bailout money until then.  But maybe Obama's plan will bypass and flood other
areas with $$ first.

Any decisions on which state you're heading to eventually yet?

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell