homestead - Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 08:02:23 -0800 (PST)

"land" in my neighborhood -- even in these hard times --in this hard hit city
- would go for something like $ 750,000.00 to over a million dollars an acre.
How many of those "almost free' bush beans could I harvest 'if' I had an
acre? The grocery store will sell me beans cheap in a can or a bin, whether,
or not, I live on the fifth floor of an inner city apt.complex and have no
land.

The few extra dollars I paid to have a few sixpacks of already 5-10 inches
tall plants rather than germinating underground, wouldn't buy a six pack of
german beer, I don't imagine. We are taling my backyard garden in the
central city. I like the fact that I went out at daybreak and could see the
plants, already.

Occasionally, the market has chicken (legs and thighs) for 39 cents a pound
or whole chickens for 59 cents a lb. How many people who grow their own
chikens can do it for that price (and no work)? Sometimes, it is just worth
paying the extra money for something.

I would still pay Sage her asking price for her fresh eggs, if she were
near -- though the price is triple what I pay at the store. I would pay you
extra for your beef, if you were near. Some things are worth paying extra.
My plants are already asbove ground and growi8ng. That was worth a few bucks
to me.