homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:45:42 -0800

We have miles and miles of them out here and a lot of them are called Chinaman fences. When the Chinese were brought in to help build the railways, as they graded for the railway, all the stone was turned into fences. When the work was over and they couldn't get work anywhere, they do work 4 food which was building fences. Whole families would gather the stones and build the fences. You can still see a lot of those fences in Sonoma County.

Had I more than one child still at home, I could easily fence this place with stone! We certainly do "grow" far more rock than we do anything else!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

I know of people who use existing stone walls, and repair them as needed. I
haven't heard of anyone recently building the miles of stone walls like they
used to for animals. If anyone is, thry probably don't have time to report
about it on the internet :-)

The Nearings constructed slipform stone/concrete walls that are faster and
stronger. It takes fewer stones, but you need concrete.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA