homestead - Re: [Homestead] big agri-biz

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] big agri-biz
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:59:06 -0800 (PST)

Bob, jumping in here.  (Late... but....I have a good excuse :-)

I'd make a big bet that the homesteaders are the ones who are going to be
considered "rich".  They are the ones who are gaining knowledge first hand
thru doing on how to survive as a species.  This is knowledge that somehow
has been generally lost in a relatively short period of human history.  We
are more fortunate know however, because there is additional knowledge that
has been gained to survive (although much could be considered useless in
extreme conditions).

If TS doesn't HTF - they will have lost nothing and will have lived a happy,
hard worked life, and have passed down knowledge (hopefully) to others who
are grateful.  I have always econsider the farmers (and all the various
definitions of farmers especially the homesteader version ...) the ones with
true wealth.

On the other hand, if TSHTF - those who are not prepared will lose the wealth
that doesn't help one survive.

There are a lot of forms of "wealth".

KMart had 10 pairs of socks on sale for $5 last week.  I bought 40 pairs,
estimating that would be enough to last thru a prolonged crisis, if one
materializes.  I think those socks were a great investment.  I converted
worthless paper money into 1) something that will make survival easier and 2)
I would buy anyway over the years regardless of economics and 3) I think it
is a great investment under various economic scenarios (i.e. all/most socks
made in China, and inflation to hyperinflationary scenarios).  Others might
not envy my stockpile of socks, but then again, ITSHTF they will.

A homesteader is by no means "dirt-poor".  IMO they are the wealthiest.

Of course some farmers are "dirt poor", and it doesn't have to do so much
with money, but with the way they are farming.