homestead - Re: [Homestead] big agri-biz

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] big agri-biz
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:21:54 -0800 (PST)

Yes Lynn, I wrote that yesterday as a direct reply to a question posed to me
by Leslie. I 'do' think that the structures of society are crumbling. But,
I don't claim to know how long it will take or just how bad things will
become. I amde a list of a couple of dozen predictions and posted them.
Those are some of my educated guesses. But, still; if I am right; 'what will
it all mean?".

The economy is crumbling fast, right now. People are already losing jobs,
credit lines, businesses. I see it here in Phoenix, and hear of other
stories from other places. That doesn't mean I believe my neighbors will
necessarily be in roving bands of starving imbeciles. Most of them will use
what they have attained already in life , as deflated as those assets might
be, to stay here and persevere; move to a cheap part of europe or another
global destination; or like me, buy someone else's homestead or farm, and
start there.

But, I don't agree that only poor dirt farmers will inherit the future.
That idea is preposteurous. There is no sin in being poor. There is also no
sin in 'not' being poor.

My concern is that the wrong people will be hurt first and hardest. I have
working poor among my family. That matters to me. Lynn, I still have plenty
of time to become 'poor' myself. That matters to me. So far, I don't see
the idle wealthy exhibiting nearly the concern that I see in thoses who must
work for their food and shelter. That matters to me.

I think things look gloomy, yes. Do I think poor dirt farmers are holding
the answer to a better future -- get real. I think small hardworking
farmers, like you or Rob, or bill or homesteaders who homestead and make
other income like bev, and marie, and Ray, and Gene or just people with the
mind-set trying to get rural in a responsible way like Cathy or me( I still
count myself, even if no-one else does--it is a mind-set)can lead to a better
future, whether, or not, we are 'poor' and just 'sustaining'.

We will all play a part. I'm worried mostly about people like my brothers.
I do worry about myself in the sense that if services are lost in the city, I
'will' have to leave the city. But, I had already planned to leave the city,
it's just the timimng and 'possible' circumstances that are in limbo, now.