homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer crashed and burned!

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer crashed and burned!
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:45:13 -0500

> 2) STARTER KIT FOR SEEDS - got this tip this a/m at the gym. Cut a few
> sheets of newspaper into strips the same width as you would want a starter
> cup for seed(lings). Wet the paper, then roll into the desired width. Let
> dry. No need to remove at planting time.

Glad to see you back. Get a Flash or external HD and back your data up!

I make seed cups this way. I usually rummage a cardboard box that beer
and sodas come in from a dumpster. They are about the size of two 6
packs and a couple of inches deep. Fill with soil and start the seeds
in that. About the time they get the first true leaves, I'm transplant
to newspaper cups. If you put those cups tightly in to a box as high
as they are, they don't dry off so quickly.

To make them I get a tin can the size I want. Cut newspaper a little
wider than the height of the can. Roll the newspaper on the can
loosely. Fold the bottom up and if you can wet the bottom a little it
helps. Slide the can out and fill with your soil.

Rob - Va