homestead - Re: [Homestead] big agri-biz

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] big agri-biz
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:37:21 EST

> >Economies, housing bubbles, governments come and
> go but the natural life cycle that is a big part of our world keeps going,
> totally ignorant of what the DOW or the Yen is doing.. I don't presume to
> speak for James, but that's what I understood him to mean by the 'homestead
> mindset'.

I've more to say on this later, but Lynn, you are precisely right. No time
to expound much right now, we have had blessed, blessed rain for two weeks
and
in today's hiatus until the rain returns tomorrow, I've got to go haul the
100
or more bales of hay that have been given to us. Hot damn!

In all this tedious and often sophomoric blather about world economy, my
focus, and the focus of the active homesteaders here, has been "How does this
affect us?" Most of the time, not much. What Paulson, Bernanke, and Bush
are
presently doing is attempting the old "Create inflation to get us out of
deflation since deflation affects the idle ass-sitter more than it does those
who
work". That is, if this plays out as they plan, we will be in
hyper-inflation and
any cash we are holding will lose value markedly. So the plan must be to
convert as much cash as possible into real goods (which does not include
gold)
which will resist the inflation.

Like I say, I have somewhat to say on the subject of homestead mindset. When
I return covered with straw and manure but scores of bales to the good, I
will elaborate.

However, in the end, it will not in siginficance be any more succinct than
what you have expressed above. We homesteaders live and die by the natural
world and non-homesteaders live and die by stock prices and whether the
government
is trying to seize the blips from their bank account. Two different worlds
and I opine that the flavor of this list is toward the former.

James