homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:53:12 -0400

> Just learned tomorrow's 8:00 a.m. soccer game was cancelled due to rain,
> darn it. ;) Glad for the rain. Son (age 13) will be disappointed, but I like
> my sleep. Son will live.

Hope you are still sleeping.

> My friend pressure cans deer meat every year in broth and de-bones it. We
> have two friends who will hunt on on our land this fall (we have so many
> deer who come up close to the house...), we're going to experience dressing
> the deer first hand. It's time to learn and hunting ourselves is next. First
> things first. I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to do
> this.

My aunt cans a deer every year. Chunks of meat. Canned meat is good. I
grew up eating canned meat.

> There must be online info or something in the Ball book. I'm sure several on
> the list can help you out tomorrow.

I've got all the directions. Looks like it might not rain much here
today, so hopefully I can get some of these broilers butchered. I've
got 50 and they are eating me out of house and home.

Rob - Va