homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:30:26 -0400

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got some wide mouth jars empty and some broilers to butcher. I'm
> going to can some. Has anyone canned chicken? I'm thinking raw pack,
> bone in. Why don't you put broth or water in the jar?
>
> I've canned meat and ground meat, but not chicken. I figure it will be
> a good quick food this winter and not take freezer place.
>
> Rob - Va
> I found the debate that boring....

Hey Rob,

Me, too. Hate to say it.

Just learned tomorrow's 8:00 a.m. soccer game was cancelled due to rain,
darn it. ;) Glad for the rain. Son (age 13) will be disappointed, but I like
my sleep. Son will live.

My friend pressure cans deer meat every year in broth and de-bones it. We
have two friends who will hunt on on our land this fall (we have so many
deer who come up close to the house...), we're going to experience dressing
the deer first hand. It's time to learn and hunting ourselves is next. First
things first. I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to do
this.

There must be online info or something in the Ball book. I'm sure several on
the list can help you out tomorrow.

You've made so much progress on your homestead, good for you.

Lisa
Floyd Co. VA