homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:44:07 EDT

>> Still I think it is helpful
> to understand that highly heated oils, refined or not, and even whole
> grain breads baked at 350-400 degrees produce substances that are toxic
> and can eventually lead to any number of ailments.

Jerry, you have chemistry and other physical evidence on your side backing
this up, and no mistake. Yet ... I find myself misdoubting it. I think
there
is something else going on. My misdoubts are based on the fact that people
have been heating bread to far greater temps (much earth oven bread heats to
700
degrees, at least the oven does so the surface of the bread does) for ore
than 5000 years. The broken protein chains of charred meat are supposed to
be
very carcinogenic, and yet people have been eating fire charred meat for at
least 50,000 years. We've had time, says I, to adjust.

So I think there is something else going on,

In the 60's, remember, 'Death in a Cup' was coffee. It was linked to heart
disease, cancer, and all manner of ills. You were to strictly limit yourself
to a scant demitasse three times a week or some such nonsense. Stats were on
the side of that view. Turns out that back then very few adults had coffee
without also having a cigarette. The population of people who drank copious
coffee but did not smoke was just statistically insignificant. Now that
smokers
are in the minority, those stats have cleared up and coffee ranks as
somewhere
between harmless and somewhat beneficial. Now, I'm not defending yet another
of my vices with this. I don't drink coffee, not at all, never have. But it
most certainly is not the health risk that it used to be thought.

Like that for heat modified oils, carbs, and proteins. Now of days, where's
the population that eats those things but also does not sit on its arse all
day long? So for me there is room for grave misdoubts.

----------------------

As far as the diseases of age we are talking about, I have an entirely
different tack on this than most, even most of you. What I hear are such as
'well,
I'm not fetching that water from 100 feet away', 'horses, forget it!', 'well,
those saws and axes may be well and good, but when you get my age ..." etc.

About two or three years ago I began to experience rather significant
stiffness in my muscles and tendons. Arthritis is a family disease and so
for I
only have a trace of it in one toe, but for whatever etiology my flexibily
went
all to hell a couple of years ago to where sometimes I could hardly get my
work
done.

Now the way this is handled by our modern mindset is that we shrug our
shoulders, take some drugs, and arrange our world so that we don't have to
bend or
stretch to get things done.

And sure enough I noticed myself favoring a stiff and inflexible way of doing
things. Make sure things are at hand, keep a stick handy to scoot something
withing reach in order to pick it up, have the kids do the stoop planting.
But, from another paradigm, I made the observation that for any type of task
there is a ''stretch" way of doing it and there is a geezer way of doing it.
So
I systematically began to abandon the geezer way I was all to rapidly
effecting and began to do everything the stretch way. I bent over rather
than stoop,
I twisted to reach things rather than have them at hand, I stepped across
garden beds rather than shuffling around them.

And make no mistake it cost me no end of pains but this sort of practical
moving yoga has paid off handsomely. If one looks about their life, you will
find no end of examples of this. There are always at least two ways of doing
things, one will promote health, vigor, and flexibilty and the other will
promote
aging and geezerdom.

</HTML>