baslinux - [BL] BNC PCMCIA ethernet dongle

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BNC PCMCIA ethernet dongle
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:40:03 +0000 (UTC)

I have a linksys 'combo' PCMCIA 10MBit ethernet card (requires pcnet-cs.o, I think, the missing dongle for which supposedly supposedly had both RJ and BNC connectors) for which I found a Farallon (3c589cs_o) BNC dongle that physically fits. Are they likely to work together?

If not, I won't bother hunting up a BNC cable and terminator. We are about to put linux on laptops. It can be done via parallel transfer cable and/or parallel port zip drive (just got another for $2 at a yard sale).

The laptop with the card came with Redhat 7 in 1.2G plus a 128MB swap partition (for 16MB RAM) which I will replace with a 16MB swap file
and use the 128MB for BL while we try to puzzle out Redhat (when you exit fvwm it gives you another GUI login prompt, and the 800MB don't appear to contain much in the way of applications, no X programs unless you count the calculator and utilities, no source code). It is predictably set up to boot and load various logging programs and crond and atd and gmp and cardmgr and USB without asking, so 5MB of RAM is already used. Someone suggested editing init.d to change runlevels so X would not start.
There is a line (in sysinit.d) that I think says to load a bunch of programs in another directory - can I remark that out to stop loading the logging programs, etc.?

keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

  • [BL] BNC PCMCIA ethernet dongle, sindi keesan, 08/09/2005