baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: "rvijay07" <rvijay07 AT myway.com>
  • To: keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 06:25:51 -0500 (EST)

From: sindi keesan [mailto: keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org]

Do you have any other modems you could use instead of this one? There
sites <br>I go to, you can't tell the difference between that and 56K.

The above is an excellent suggestion. I need to be on the lookout for these.
May also help convince some people to try Linux. How can one tell what kind
they are by just looking at them though ? Is their model etc., written
somewhere on the card ?

>Why not put it in your recycling bin as metal?<br><br>> Vijay

This is a very good suggestion as well. I guess I was concerned as the person
who gave me the PC was very concerned about past data being on the PC. So, I
wanted to ensure that it was gone. This is for the future.

Here is a site that I came across on tips for recycling PCs:
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/features/1142691

>From what I observe locally no one is even recycling 486 desktops, the
>minimum I see on my local Freecycle list in Pentium 1.

I tried it again today, I left my PC running with BL loaded on it overnight
(floppy to Ram). In the evening I verified that I can get on the net with it.
Today in the morning, I trid to connect and ppp-on hangs. I tried adding 0
ini1 ath0, did ppp-off and tried ppp-on again. It didn't connect.

Incidentally, I wrote my connection problems about Wolf Linux on
comp.os.linux.misc and got this respose (Basically he says that ppp-on is
old. Is there anyway that a current version can be used in BL ? Perhaps can
this solve the problem ? Those with Google can search for the entire thread
on the net):