baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:06:54 +0000 (UTC)

BasicLinux, on the other hand, is targeted at 486s and
low-end Pentiums with limited RAM. It has a tiny kernel
with limited capabilities suitable for really old hardware.
As the name says, BasicLinux provides basic Linux tools
in a very small footprint.

Yes I know, DamnSmallLinux is supposed to be targetted at
old hardware. But try running it on a 486 with 8mb RAM.

The version I just used is set up to work in X only. It made a 96MB ramdisk. My 486 laptops don't have a CD-ROM drive. BL3 works beautifilly in 12 MB RAM and it even works in 5MB RAM (without graphics, anyway).

Moreover, if there are such challenges with Basic Linux,
makes me wonder what other similar MINOR but critical
challenges/issues are there or can be encountered in the
future with BL ?

Oh there are plenty of challenges. BasicLinux does not make
things easy. It does not auto-diagnose your hardware, it
does not provide user-friendly point-and-click configuration.
You've got to get your hands dirty with BasicLinux (but some
of us see that as a good thing).

I prefer the challenges. I like learning how to customize.
I am also very grateful for this mail list, which is teaching me a lot about linux.