baslinux - [BL] How to boot from a non-booting bootable CD-ROM?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] How to boot from a non-booting bootable CD-ROM?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:24:47 +0000 (UTC)

I have one keyboard that works in DOS but on at least one computer it works in DOS but in BL2 nothing happens when you press any key. So I was going to try it with another linux, in this case DamnSmallLinux on bootable CD-ROM. Even with CMOS set to boot from CD-ROM, A, C it goes into DOS on the hard drive instead of booting. I can look at files on the CD. Maybe the list member who gave us this CD-ROM did not make it bootable as promised.

In the Knoppix directory of it is a boot.img file. How would I use BL2 or BL3 to write this to a floppy disk and then what to I do with it, assuming it is possible to boot from this boot disk to DSL afterwards? The batch file to make floppy boot disk uses rawrite so I could get that for DOS but I would like to learn to do this in linux. Do I use dd somehow?

I could not find any mention of my keyboard problem - other people only had problems after running certain software, or in X. There was mention of 'faulty hardware' and someone lost their USB keyboard and mouse at the same time. I cannot 'check if mouse works' because I don't have gpm mouse. I suppose I could put something in rc.S to load links -g to test the svga mouse. (Using a different keyboard to type the change).
Other suggestions were to type stty echo or reset - don't know if this would accomplish anything if the keyboard is not sending characters.

All three green keyboard lights go on when I boot linux.

I don't need this keyboard, just curious what is happening. Also, this computer is our only one so far that won't boot with FreeDOS. Might it have a problem of some sort in the BIOS?

The FreeDOS emm386 of Feb 20 lets us loadlin, the one from Feb 7 just gives a long and complex error message about no load buffer. They are getting closer to full usability. But the computer that won't boot with FreeDOS is the one I first set up linux on, and it compiled and ran X.
(It did at some point stop compiling when I tried to downgrade libc but I suspect the downgrade caused the problem. I put a new linux on and that seems to work properly).

I am used to linux not working quite right on all hardware: so far three computers won't work with loadlin except from MS DOS 7.1 (kernel on MS-DOS 7.1 formatted HD or FD), two won't play stereo wav files, two won't boot loop linux, and now this odd keyboard problem, and one 386 laptop won't boot linux of any sort. I am certain nobody tested this keyboard with linux when it was made (in the mid 80s).

Does anyone else on the list besides vijay (modem) have hardware that won't work with BL but will work with other linuxes? I have found the opposite to be true.

keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org