baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: "rvijay07" <rvijay07 AT myway.com>
  • To: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 01:40:57 -0500 (EST)

The PC I am trying to recycle is almost 10 years old. It is actually 100MHz
but then had an upgrade to 200 MHz Processor. It has like 64 Megs ram on it
but no HD as it crashed. When I try to go online with DSL on this it crashes.
So I wish to put BL on it.

Your response was excellent. It is a great info./reminder of what BSL is,
isn't, can and can't do. After using all the bloat distros, keeping this in
mind when working with older PCs is important.

I am just trying to get familiar with BL on this faster/better machine before
putting it on the slower/older one.

A general local observation. Locally, in stores anything lesser than 80Gigs
is considered "primitive" by the sales staff. Dell had a new deal for a PC
recently with 2.4GHz 80G HD for 300 bucks Canadian !!! The urge to buy new
rather than upgrade is quite high. three years down the road this used will
be sold for like 100 bucks. At such low prices who will want a 500MHz pc ?
Sadly this will add to a lot of IT waste. Hopefully projects like BL will
help to recycle them all.

Vijay