baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: rvijay07 AT myway.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:59:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, rvijay07 wrote:

The PC I am trying to recycle is almost 10 years old. It is actually 100MHz but then had an upgrade to 200 MHz Processor. It has like 64 Megs ram on it but no HD as it crashed. When I try to go online with DSL on this it crashes. So I wish to put BL on it.

Is this a laptop computer? If it is a desktop computer you could replace the hard drive easily and then put BL on hard drive instead of floppy or CD. You can get a hard drive out of any older computer and just open up the case, unplug a power cable and a data cable, remove some screws and reverse the process with the replacement drive. A 100MB drive is plenty for BL3 with applications.

Make sure you plug in the data (ribbon) cable with the red stripe nearest the power connector. Often the drives and cables are keyed.

Are you planning to use your two computers in a network with DSL? Or use the older one as a dumb terminal (X-server)? I don't think you would need to dial with it as the dumb terminal.