baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:51:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Anything with DIP switches is unlikely to be faster than 28.8k.

I recently got a box of old ISA modems for $2. All
of them had DIP switches for COM/IRQ. After a day
of testing: most were 14K or 28K, but three were
33K and two were 56K. So now I'm dialing in at 56K
(with a backup!).

Wow, what a find! Do you run across many sites that you can really access faster with 56K than 33K? I don't think I am actually connecting at the full 56K, but rather somewhere between 28 and 42 at best. Is there some way to see what speed you connected at with eznet? I can only judge how fast I am downloading from a fast commercial site - 4.2K is about 43K connection (llbean is my test page).