baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:40:14 +1300

rvijay07 wrote:

> How come this problem doesn't occur with other Distros
> on the same PC ? I have used FreeBSD, DamnSmallLinux,
> Debian, Knoppix, Knoppix hd install etc., on this same PC.
> None have posed the problems like this one.

How old is your PC? AFAIK all of the distros you mention
above are targeted at recent hardware. So they are aware
of hardware (eg USB) that is alien to BasicLinux. They
have much larger kernels, designed to cope with a wider
variety of hardware combinations.

BasicLinux, on the other hand, is targeted at 486s and
low-end Pentiums with limited RAM. It has a tiny kernel
with limited capabilities suitable for really old hardware.
As the name says, BasicLinux provides basic Linux tools
in a very small footprint.

Yes I know, DamnSmallLinux is supposed to be targetted at
old hardware. But try running it on a 486 with 8mb RAM.

> Moreover, if there are such challenges with Basic Linux,
> makes me wonder what other similar MINOR but critical
> challenges/issues are there or can be encountered in the
> future with BL ?

Oh there are plenty of challenges. BasicLinux does not make
things easy. It does not auto-diagnose your hardware, it
does not provide user-friendly point-and-click configuration.
You've got to get your hands dirty with BasicLinux (but some
of us see that as a good thing).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru