baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: rvijay07 AT myway.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:20:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, rvijay07 wrote:

The ppp-on hanging I experienced is due to the NOT Switching-off problem caused by a probable conflict at the COM2 port. So I had to switch-off everytime to reset the hardware.

Did you disable COM2 in BIOS?

How come this problem doesn't occur with other Distros on the same PC ? I have used FreeBSD, DamnSmallLinux, Debian, Knoppix, Knoppix hd install etc., on this same PC. None have posed the problems like this one.

Try a later version of pppd by downloading BL2 for 2 floppy disks and see if it works better. Your other linuxes and BSDs are probably using newer libraries and executables than BL3.

Moreover, if there are such challenges with Basic Linux, makes me wonder what other similar MINOR but critical challenges/issues are there or can be encountered in the future with BL ?

Just wait until you try using Xvesa on an old laptop. ;=)

Loop linux is another challenge - it won't boot on two of our computers.
(The BL3 that installs to a DOS partition).

But BL2 and BL3 work on computers where the more 'modern' linuxes simply don't support the hardware. They assume you have a newer video card, or lots more memory, or 2GB free hard disk.

Vijay