baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: dos AT lieber.com.ar, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflections on the Switch-off problem.
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:33:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

With a 56K modem, I get at least 11000 cps downloading my mail with
PMail in Basic Linux 3.

If your mail were already compressed it would go slower. The larger files I download are usually .zip or .tgz files. But sometimes while loading a page I get as high as 7-8K.

Remember that 56K has also compresion.

Alejandro.

I don't think I am actually connecting at the
full 56K,

It depends on how good the wire is from your phone
to your local exchange. I regularly get 51K connects.
Occasionally 53K.

Is there some way to see what speed you connected at
with eznet?

cat /var/eznet/transcript.0 | grep CONNECT

I tried this on three computers with 56K v90 modems - first was 57600, second had connected at 28800. Is there some way to tell the modem not to connect at less than 33K? A third one today at 45333.
The first is a fairly new external and the others internal, at least one upgraded from x2 to v90.