baslinux - [BL] Opera 7.54 - will it work with BL3?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 7.54 - will it work with BL3?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:51:24 +0000 (UTC)

Opera 7.54 is now out for Slackware 8.0/8.1, 9.0, or 9.1. 7.23 was available for glibc 2.2.5 (SW81) and works on BL2 if you upgrade to that library. It is somewhat buggy but does not keep crashing like 6.05 did.
(One interesting bug, at least in the Windows version, was that it displays
in 256 colors if you set to 64K, in 16 if you set to 256).

7.54 is available for more platforms, including Redhat 6.2, which I think uses glibc2.1.3, same as Slackware 7.1, or is this a slightly newer version? Therefore if you use the slackware rpm installer it ought to work on BL2 without the library upgrade. Anyone want to test this?

I saw nothing obviously for libc5 (BL3).

They claim some additional javascript capabilities (7.23 shows a blank page instead of my bank website, even lynx does it better!) and bug fixes and better security. Also more features in email and RSS newsfeed and various decorations.

8.0 beta is still for Windows only.

I cannot download from driverguide with lynx (the image you need to read is a .php file) or link2 graphical (something about POST not available) but Opera works. We just discovered if you get the exact CD-ROM driver (.sys file) DOS no longer spends 10 seconds during boot looking at our Samsung quad speed drive like it does if you use oakcdrom.sys (also the other drivers tend to be smaller - I am using nec-cdrom.sys on two others). Linux seems to identify all these drives faster than DOS.

Other than Mozilla/Firefox, is anyone using another linux (BL-compatible) graphical browser which works at driverguide?