baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 burning audio CDs.

  • From: Hal MacArgle <halinux AT kvinet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 burning audio CDs.
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:34:20 -0400

On 10-26, sindi keesan wrote:
> I got a blank copy and I checked and it was not upside down.
> Hal said I needed a '-' in there somewhere but that is not in the notes he

I was wrong - misinterpreting the query.. The '-' is only
needed when you burn an entire directory after a pipe from mkisofs..
Not needed to copy a raw image file...

> This is a CD-R not RW. The burner is listed by linux as CD-RW but online
> it seems to be a CD-R 2x write 24x read. Were there 2X RW models?

AFAIK, all will burn CDR's and CDRW's, depending on the
actual media that cdrecord will sense... The speed will vary
depending on the burner and the media.. I've not been able to burn
any at some of the very high speeds - backing down OK.. ?? ..

> Does the 'dummy' mode detect if the disk is not recordable?
> Hal suggested switches -toc and -inq.

cdrecord -toc will list the table of contents.. If nothing
there - it'll report nothing.. <grin> -inq is inquiry.. Forget what
it does completely.

> >6. To write this file to a CD:
> >cdrecord -v fs=6m speed=2 dev=0,0,0 filename.raw
> >Before actually burning a CD the first time run this with -dummy and
> >stop it before the 10 sec countdown 'last chance to quit'. If you forget
> >to stop it the next record won't work until you type cdrecord -reset.

I've had to do -reset many times for various reasons.. Have
never stopped a -dummy run before the end because you wont know any
more than you did before running it.. Sometimes have had to eject
then refit the blank.. Don't remember the reason why.. Computers??

> >Hal said in order to eliminate the need to write dev=0,0,0 for
> >the reader and writer to put into /etc/profile
> >export CDR_device=0,0,0
> >
> >Can I also put in
> >export CDR_SPEED=2
> >export CDR_FIFOSIZE=6 (or just omit fs=6m to get default 4MB?)

RTFM of course, but CDR_device a good one because that
hardware should stay put in that spot.. The speed should be entered
if you have different media blanks; some faster than others.. Same,
maybe, with fifo size...??..
--

Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0 (2.4.20-1)
.