baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:41:50 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> There were a lot of conflicting instructions about
> how to establish a serial connection.

The reason they seem conflicting to you is because
there are at least three different types of serial
connections. ppp is just one of them. slattach
is another. The instructions setting up slattach
are quite different from the instructions for ppp.

> I can even automatically enter user name when
> telnetting with kermit. How would I do this
> for a local serial connection via dumb terminal

I suppose that would depend on your terminal program.
Most terminal programs have the ability to wait for
login/password requests and respond accordingly. I
suspect it may be necessary to do this via the dialing
section of the terminal program (perhaps with a null
phone number). I suggest you experiment.

> or ppp?

PPP is not the issue. The nullmodem PPP connection
is already made without authentication. The request
for authentication you get on the screen comes from
the system login process via the telnet server.

> > plip: 38K/sec
>
> I thought parallel had 8 wires instead of the serial 1
> and should be 8 times as fast.

Linux defaults to cslip (compressed slip). AFAIK the
plip data stream is not compressed.

> Did you do an actual measurement?

Yes. I transfered a large file and timed it. I did the
same with ethernet and with slip.

> I should be able to see the X screen on the computer
> from which I am telnetting.

In order to see the X screen on the computer from which
you are telneting, you need to send the X display to
that computer (export DISPLAY=192.168.1.7:0). You also
need to run Xvesa (or other Xserver) on that computer
to receive the X output.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru