baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:23:50 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > In order to see the X screen on the computer from which
> > you are telneting, you need to send the X display to
> > that computer (export DISPLAY=192.168.1.7:0). You also
> > need to run Xvesa (or other Xserver) on that computer
> > to receive the X output.
>
> Do I first telnet in CLI mode,
> then switch to another terminal and type Xvesa?

I've never heard of anyone doing it that way, but I suppose
it's possible. The normal way is to start X first and then
run telnet from an xterm.

> On which terminal and when do I export DISPLAY?

You export DISPLAY from the system you are telneting to
and send it to the system you are telneting from.

> I can't do it from Xvesa.

You need to run an xterm on Xvesa.

> Please specify the details and I will try this with serial
> connection and pppd.

Keep in mind that a serial link is a bit slow. But it
does work. I've used this method via my 33.6 internet
connection to run an X application on a system in America
and display the output here in New Zealand.

> Or run two X programs full-screen at the same time?

You can have windows from several different sources on
your screen at the same time. Whenever you log into a
remote system, export DISPLAY to your local system and
then run an X application, it pops up on your local X
screen (and is clickable with your local mouse).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru