baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Can someone on clark also run programs in X

Yes, clark can provide a display for a local user, as
well as providing displays for any number of remote users.

So this provides a way to run X on two monitors at once using the same software! And two people could use a graphical browser over the same phone line at the same time, right?

I have not figured out what & and exec mean yet

& run in background
exec run without starting new process (replace this one)

So how do I set up .xinitrc to load Xvesa, run xmodmap, and then icewm and rxvt? Whatever I try crashes. This is BL3. I have no problem just doing CLI in BL3, or xinit -- .. in BL2 with my .xinitrc. BL3 has no xinit, and I cannot figure out the startx and how it works with .xinitrc.

In the meantime I just do CLI and can make an alias, so no problem but I am curious what I am doing wrong. icewm runs without starting new process - what is it replacing?

How would I set this up so that someone could dial my
computer

You set up /etc/inittab to run a getty on your modem.

ttyS1 is modem - do I uncomment the same line that I used
for dumb terminal mode over nullmodem cable but change from ttyS0 to ttyS1?

and telnet to it over the phone line?

Not telnet. The remote caller runs a terminal program.

So I would be able to dial the phone number here from somewhere else with kermit and connect without telnet? Same as with nullmodem cable? (assuming I set up this computer here so the modem answered when the line rang - I have not done that for 20 years or so and I think I did it manually then.)

Also pppd and the same telnet server?

Neither.

What IP number for the client?

None. You don't use TCP/IP.

Could I use ppp and telnet if desired? Just trying to learn how these things work. Direct-dial modem, lois and clark, instead of 'local' use 'modem'? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?