baslinux - [BL] online document/webpage conversion svc

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] online document/webpage conversion svc
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:32:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

> > Oops. Spelling error. Try
> > http://wheel.compose.cs.cmu.edu:8001/cgi-bin/browse/objweb .
> >
> Tom conversion service. Converts 40 formats of file, or URLs, between
> things like gif, jpeg, ppm, Adobe wordperfect, word, excel, ppm, rtf.
>
> Where do I put the file to be converted? The link marked explain gave me
> a 404 not found.

If you're using a graphical browser you'll see a "browse" button that will
open a file browser where you can select a file from your system. If
you're using a text mode browser, you enter the full path to the file in
the blank. I get the same 404 error for the "Explain" link, regardless of
what browser I use.

> The URL conversion sounds handy for posted WORD or pdf files - have you
> tried that?

No. Just came across this service recently. I had seen and used the CERN
one previously, but it does not offer so many different conversion options
as this one. If you use this or other features, please post on how it
worked/didn't work. This service could be helpful to BL users.

James