baslinux - Re: [BL] online document/webpage conversion svc

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] online document/webpage conversion svc
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:31:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

Oops. Spelling error. Try
http://wheel.compose.cs.cmu.edu:8001/cgi-bin/browse/objweb .

Tom conversion service. Converts 40 formats of file, or URLs, between
things like gif, jpeg, ppm, Adobe wordperfect, word, excel, ppm, rtf.

Where do I put the file to be converted? The link marked explain gave me
a 404 not found.

If you're using a graphical browser you'll see a "browse" button that will
open a file browser where you can select a file from your system. If
you're using a text mode browser, you enter the full path to the file in
the blank. I get the same 404 error for the "Explain" link, regardless of
what browser I use.

Thanks. I have used Geocities website and it would not work at all without Windows. Nor do any webmail programs I have tried let me upload without Windows. Nice to know someone with a word to ascii convertor lets
you use it without a GUI.

The URL conversion sounds handy for posted WORD or pdf files - have you
tried that?

No. Just came across this service recently. I had seen and used the CERN
one previously, but it does not offer so many different conversion options
as this one. If you use this or other features, please post on how it
worked/didn't work. This service could be helpful to BL users.

James