baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:54:33 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> On the server

clark

> I typed export DISPLAY (etc. - see below)
> in.telnetd -debug
>
> On the client

lois

> I typed telnet clark
> I got the login screen in my rxvt on lois, in which
> I can run programs in X on clark.
>
> Can someone on clark also run programs in X

Yes, clark can provide a display for a local user, as
well as providing displays for any number of remote users.

> I have not figured out what & and exec mean yet

& run in background
exec run without starting new process (replace this one)

> How would I set this up so that someone could dial my
> computer

You set up /etc/inittab to run a getty on your modem.

> and telnet to it over the phone line?

Not telnet. The remote caller runs a terminal program.

> Also pppd and the same telnet server?

Neither.

> What IP number for the client?

None. You don't use TCP/IP.