baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:14:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

two people could use a graphical browser over the same
phone line at the same time, right?

Yes.

how do I set up .xinitrc to load Xvesa,

~/.xinitrc doesn't load Xvesa. startx loads Xvesa.

run xmodmap, and then icewm and rxvt?

----------
xmodmap &
rxvt &
exec icewm
----------

BL3 has no xinit

Oh yes it does.

The first version (BL3.0) did not and you changed it?

So I would be able to dial the phone number here
from somewhere else with kermit and connect without
telnet?

Yes. It works just like a dumb terminal.

Same as with nullmodem cable?

Yes, a connection via a real modem works just like a
connection via a nullmodem.

assuming I set up this computer here so the modem
answered when the line rang

Yes.

The external modems came with auto answer switch. 5 up - auto answer on first ring. I have not done this since the days of external modems. How would I do this with an internal modem? Software command?

Could I use ppp and telnet if desired?

That's more complicated, but it's similar to using pppd
on the nullmodem to establish a TCP/IP network. You run
pppd on the modem line (instead of the getty) and use
eznet/pppd on the remote system to dial and connect.

Or a DOS dialing program, assuming I get the DOS telnet stuff figured out. Have not tried yet.

How would I physically hook up two computers with a phone line to try the nullmodem approach with phone cord instead of nullmodem cable? Right now we have one modem plugged into the wall jack ('telco' plug) and from there ('phone' plug) into the other computer modem ('telco' plug again) and thence out the 'phone' plug to the fax machine and thence to telephone. Would I plug the line into 'telco' on both computers? Or leave it as it is? I am told some newer modems have two identical plugs (receptacles? - what is the part you plug into?). Using existing wiring would be simplest. We have only one nullmodem cable but could make others.

How do I unload agetty other than kill pidof? I want to try agetty on both nullmodem (ttyS0) and phone line (ttyS1). I will get too confused with both running at once. Last time I tried to set up telnet over nullmodem cable and it turns out I was pinging over ethernet cable.

Do I need to give the receiving computer an ATH1 somehow before trying to make the connection via phone line and modem? cat ath1 > /dev/ttyS1.
Then use the dumb terminal method (or pppd and telnet)?
This however gives me a noisy dialtone.