baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:25:25 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> two people could use a graphical browser over the same
> phone line at the same time, right?

Yes.

> how do I set up .xinitrc to load Xvesa,

~/.xinitrc doesn't load Xvesa. startx loads Xvesa.

>run xmodmap, and then icewm and rxvt?

----------
xmodmap &
rxvt &
exec icewm
----------

> BL3 has no xinit

Oh yes it does.

> icewm runs without starting new process
> - what is it replacing?

The script that calls it.

> So I would be able to dial the phone number here
> from somewhere else with kermit and connect without
> telnet?

Yes. It works just like a dumb terminal.

> Same as with nullmodem cable?

Yes, a connection via a real modem works just like a
connection via a nullmodem.

> assuming I set up this computer here so the modem
> answered when the line rang

Yes.

> Could I use ppp and telnet if desired?

That's more complicated, but it's similar to using pppd
on the nullmodem to establish a TCP/IP network. You run
pppd on the modem line (instead of the getty) and use
eznet/pppd on the remote system to dial and connect.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru