baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:00:47 +0000 (UTC)

I booted into BL2 and BL3. BL3 does not automatically run e2fsck so I did that. I went into X on BL3 (startx is messed up somehow but I typed
Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 &rxvt, then icewm (not really needed) and then
got another rxvt on the screen.

On the server I typed
export DISPLAY (etc. - see below)
in.telnetd -debug

On the client I typed
telnet clark

I got the login screen in my rxvt on lois, in which I can run programs in X on clark.

If I bring up another rxvt that lets me run programs on lois in X.

Can someone on clark also run programs in X or is the X display available only on one of the two connected computers at one time? I was going to check but got sidetracked trying to figure out why startx won't work for me. I can use Xvesa CLI Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 &rxvt and then type icewm and get another rxvt and telnet from there.

When I use startx with my modified .xinitrc it crashes.

I looked at startx and see you now have xinit. I tried
xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 &rxvt

I got X with an rxvt this time but it crashed (had to power off).
I don't understand what you are doing with startx, $1, terminate.

What might I have messed up in .xinitrc so that I get just a black screen or just an X and grey screen and a crash instead of Xvesa with icewm?
(Cannot reboot or change VTs).

I added a line with xmodmap to load my own keyboard mapping so that the arrow keys will work on my 84-key keyboard. And I added the rxvt so that I could use icewm for running programs immediately without needing the menu. I have not figured out what & and exec mean yet, I think.

xmodmap /path/to/xmodmap.84 &
exec icewm & rxvt

I probably added one exec or & too many here. I tried removing them one at a time and get different styles of crash - black screen, plain X, or X with blank window. Getting tired of rebooting and running e2fsck.

Anyway, I can run programs on the monitor and keyboard lois (BL3) in Xvesa with the software for these programs on clark (BL2). And programs on BL3 on the same X on BL3, as promised.

How would I set this up so that someone could dial my computer and telnet to it over the phone line? Also pppd and the same telnet server? What IP number for the client?