baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:30:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I have been reading various HOWTOs and web pages.
THere is also slip, cslip, dip and slattach and wvdial
and linuxconf to set up ppp

That is not correct. slattach has nothing to do with
ppp. It is an alternative method of putting a TCP/IP
network on a serial line. slattach uses slip (or cslip)
but not ppp.

but I found one suggestion to use ifconfig.

ifconfig is used for slattach, not ppp.

There were a lot of conflicting instructions about how to establish a serial connection.

Is there some way to set this up so as not to need
login and password?

For telnet? The purpose of telnet is to enable you
to login to the system like a local user.

I can set up a script to enter these automatically with PCPlus or Kermit and probably with other dialing programs. I can even automatically enter user name when telnetting with kermit. How would I do this for a local serial connection via dumb terminal or ppp?

With ethernet I did not need either to send files.

That was using the send/receive scripts. They will also
work via ppp.

I was able to use these, slowly.

I was reading about putting the IP address of the incoming
computer into pap-secrets so that authentication would not
be required

Are you still talking about telnet authentication? If so,
the above has nothing to do with it.

So how would I set up telnet to automatically give my login and password? There was something about using chat for that, in combination with
pppd. I have an example in a script I have used in DOS with chat and user and passwd (?) and a few other things all on one line with epppd.

Can I telnet over a plip connection?

Yes, you can telnet over any TCP/IP connection. Ethernet,
ppp, plip, whatever.

That would be faster but my parallel port tends to be busy. Nice to know next time I am transferring from/to a DOS laptop.

Serial transfer is about 10K/sec,
ethernet 1-10MB/sec
parallel was in between (1/40 of ethernet = 250K, 8x serial = 80K?)

I get the following:
serial: 9K/sec @115200
I was rounding.
ethernet: 700K/sec
That is 10MBit ethernet. The 100MBit is ten times as fast in theory.

plip: 38K/sec
I thought parallel had 8 wires instead of the serial 1 and should be 8 times as fast. 8-bit transfer. Maybe it is 7-bit. Did you do an actual measurement? I was just guessing at it.

and laptops don't have ethernet connections

On the contrary, any laptop with a PCMCIA slot can take
an ethernet card (which are quite cheap these days).

Many laptops don't have ethernet. We don't have any that do.
Most of our laptop computers don't have PCMCIA. They do have parallel ports. The new ones probably don't have those. I don't use a laptop computer enough to care about speed of transfer. It would be fun to take one to a friend's linux computer and connect via serial or parallel cable if they were willing to set that up.

I presume if kermit works over serial and ethernet it
will also telnet/transfer over parallel connection.
As should zmodem?

Do you remember when I talked about a TCP/IP network
being like a road? It doesn't matter whether the road
is built of concrete (ethernet), tar (ppp) or gravel
(plip). Once the road is up and running, you can drive
your kermit (or whatever) from one end of the road to
the other.

I then tried to run X from the dumb terminal

That won't work. Just like you don't get X on tty1
when you startx on tty1.

I remember now. Alt-F5 to get back to X when you started in on vt1, or Alt-F4 in BL3 (last vt is 3). A dumb terminal is just like a virtual terminal.

I don't know what happens if you telnet (ppp, serial) to a computer and try to run X because of my monitor situation. X appeared on the other computer to which I had telnetted because my TTL monitor was using up the motherboard video RAM needed for VGA graphics.

Would BL3 in 4MB be able to connect to a computer with
more RAM (and monitor turned off) and run programs in X?

Yes. BL3 was designed for that very purpose.

Or even with 3MB?

No. 4mb is the bare minimum for an Xterminal.

I can try this if I comment out mdacon. Then I should be able to see the X screen on the computer from which I am telnetting.

Still don't know how to telnet over a serial cable.
Steven, did you actually have this working with BL2 or 3?

(sigh) Yes. I have personally tested (more than once)
every one of the configuration options in /root/netsetup.

You forgot to tell me NOT to leave the s1:agetty line in inittab uncommented.