baslinux - [BL] Doctor Linux: The Complete Linux Reference

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Doctor Linux: The Complete Linux Reference
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:15:31 -0500 (EST)

Today we were walking home from a free concert and stopped to get warm at
the used bookstore where I once found an Albanian to English dictionary.
Today they had a large English to Slovene and a nice book on teaching
yourself Uyghur (with Latin alphabet transliterations) and in the computer
section, along with PBell DOS 5.0 ($8!) an overpriced book on Teach
Yourself Linux through Slackware 7 and

New 4th Edition (1995) Doctor Linux. 1886 thin pages of small print.
Through Slackware 2 and other distributions.

I leafed through and found chapters on:

DOSEMU
Printing with Linux by Matt Foster

gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=deskjet -sOutputFile=}lpr thesis.ps

This would be easier to make into a script. I presume that /dev/lp0 is
already defined somewhere on the computer as the printer port.

cat thesis.txt | lpr to print text
-Pprinter specifies which printer to use if there are several

Also info on lpq and lprm etc.

Linux and Cyrillic.
Apparently you don't really need to load viscii fonts (Vietnamese) in
order to correctly map the Russian fonts but can use

setfont /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts/Cyr_a8x16
mapscrip /usr/lib/kbd/consoletrans/koi2alt

You can also change the keyboard with loadkyes ru.map and
switch keyboards with Right Control Key (which I have not got)

There are also chapters on LILO. HAM radio, GCC, PCMCIA, XFee86 using
linux with various Windows and DOS'es, Shadow Password, many things I
never heard of..... Chapters I though CI (101 chapters).

Info on using old CD-ROM drives, Graphics Mini Howto, UMSDOS, sharing swap
space with Windows, PLIP, SLIP. Locales. 12 consoles.

I did not find anything yet on multiple monitors.

Big chapter on networking and on kernel hacking.

I will look things up for people.