sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • To: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>
  • Cc: Yoav Avitzour <avitzour AT princeton.edu>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...
  • Date: 22 Jul 2002 19:17:32 -0600

Jon,

Once again, thank you. Your fix for the docbook stuff wooked great. I
think I'll just wait for a galeon2 spell instead of installing a bunch
of older stuff again.

However a few questions remain:

Themeing:
I don't run gnome-session, I run enlightenment. I didn't see any
reason
to do so in gnome 1.4. Is there a reason to do so now? I hate taking up
all that memory. Strangely when I run gnome-session, my DarkAlloy theme
shows up correctly, except for a minor display problem on top-level
parent menus. All I had to do was change the name of the gtk directory
in the theme to gtk-2.0. However when I just run Enlightenment, the
textures are not there? I tried changing my ~/.gtkrc to reflect the new
dir name under the theme's dir but that still didn;t work. Any ideas? I
didn't used to have to run the gnome-session with 1.4. is this new gconf
setup the reason? What file does changing the theme in the interface
alter?

Sound:

I did a mpg123 [file] out of X and it worked fine. So something must
be
blocking it. I am using the OSS driver. Keep in mind i am runing E, not
gnome-session. It happends when I load a gnome-sesion too. As far as I
can tell ESD is not running., and that's the ususl culprit.

Also, regenrerating the menu;s in E doesn;t really work. I get some
strange combo of my old 1.4 menus and my 3.0 menus,.

Lastly, the recasting of gnome-utils brought back all my favorite
applets and tools.

Thanx again for all you help in past an future. I can imagine how much
money I'd spend on hold for M$ tryign to work stuff liek this out.
People like you make running Linux with Source-Mage a pleasure!

Bearcat