sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] License Choices

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] License Choices
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:30:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>:
>
> > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
>
> Yeah, what he just said ;-).

For the record that translates to "Whatever is said in Latin, sounds
profound.". "No dice latina." is another important phrase for me.

I have one aching, giant bug in Sorcery which has been annoying the
hell out of me. That's the tendency for the tarball'd version to run
on a different distribution and demand an "on" spell.

But I'll leave that aside for the moment, because there is (IMHO) a
giant design flaw in Sorcery.

<CONTROVERSIAL-STATEMENT>
The requirement of large amounts of memory in order to support the
mounting of tmpfs's sucks.

I believe it can be done equally as fast, if not faster, employing
chroot and a temporary directory.

Large amounts of memory usually isn't a concern of many programmers
today. Mostly because machines have larger amounts of memory at their
disposal. However, in this case, it's important to remember what linux
was all about. A fast, 32-bit operating system on a non-32-bit chip.

While you *can* run sorcery on a machine with a smaller amount of RAM,
it's silly to do so. It usually implies the requirement of a rather
large swap partition.

Is there any work being done to this effect?
</CONTROVERSIAL-STATEMENT>

-Phil/CERisE