sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs (was : "License Choices" for some reason)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net>
  • To: Chris Brien <christopher_brien AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: julian AT openit.de, jon-sven AT frisurf.no, warl0k AT lvcm.com, cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs (was : "License Choices" for some reason)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:28:42 +1200

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 02:12:41PM +0100, Chris Brien wrote:
> It is true that if you don't have enough physical RAM, tmpfs will use swap.
> But remember that when compiling, there is a tendency to reread the same
> same files repeatedely (intermediate files, headers, multiply-included
> sources etc). When using tmpfs, only the least used files are actually
> written to swap. Even other processes such as X can be swapped out to make
> room for tmpfs files.
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, wouldn't it be the case that
linux would cache those disk blocks anyway, requiring a similar amount
of access?

--
Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net> JabberID: <eythian AT jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0x768B8765 Fingerprint=33C8 EA9C 61F1 F117 EEED 24A5 3BCE 4F77 768B
8765