sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Yoav Avitzour <avitzour AT princeton.edu>
  • To: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...
  • Date: 22 Jul 2002 16:27:17 -0400

> I don't know how to change my window manager to enlightenment, so I am
> just loading it instead of gnome-session. There are quite a few
things
> missing, for instance I have no calculator and recasting gnome-utils2
> does not give it to me.

funny, I have calculator in my gnome2...

> Galeon no longer works as it is expecting a file that came with
nautilis
> for 1.4.

You need to recompile galeon in order for it to work. The only problem
is that galeon has in DEPENDS a bunch of gnome1.4 spells that you don't
want to recast. I simply deleted the DEPENDS file and recompiled (cast
-r -c) but I guess a better solution (a galeon2 spell?) is due.

> And what really stumps me is that XMMS no longer works. My
> sound card is blocked by something. I can't run mpg123 so I dont;
think
> it is really related to XMMS. What could be blocking my soundcard. I
do
> not think i have ess running.

I have the same problem and I don't have a clue as to where to start
looking for a solution... :(

> I think Gnome2 is great, but not quite ready (this is a relese
candidate
> after all). Nautilus is FAST, in fact everything is faster.

I agree that gnome2 is great, and except for the sound problem (which is
indeed annoying), I think it is actually ready. The spells might need
some final touch (like adding the galeon2 spell), but I don't have any
other problems and everything is running fine. In addition, as far as I
know, this is NOT a release candidate, it is the actual release.

Yoav