sm-discuss - RE: [SM-Discuss] License Choices

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Glenn Shannon" <warl0k AT lvcm.com>
  • To: "'Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ'" <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [SM-Discuss] License Choices
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:40:13 -0700

I believe the choice to use tmpfs was because compiling in memory is
faster.

Unfortunately for those of us who have fast enough machines, the benefit
of tmpfs is minimal. For those that don't actually have 1G of RAM to
toss around like a ragdoll on May Day, it slows things down as it has to
swap stuff out to disk which is less efficient than using the disk as a
medium for compilation.

For the 4 or 5 people in the world who are on the right machines for
tmpfs compiling (medium range machines with 768+M of RAM) tmpfs gives
them a .05% increase in speed in return for its hefty requirement.

Please note that these views are my own, and do not express the views of
any of my other teammates. Thank you.

Glenn