sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...
  • Date: 22 Jul 2002 13:49:53 -0600

Alright!! Gnome2 is cast and running on my PC. This e-mail is designed
to serve as a heads up to all who plan on doing this and have not thus
far, and perhaps I can get some advice/answers in repsonces.

The first thing I did was an udate. That worked fine. Then I cast
gnome-2-desktop-profile. All compiled fine until I got to libgthhtml. I
got a /uar/include/gtk/gtktext.h:65 field editable has incomplete type.
I sent my compile log to Jon, the maintainer of the Gnome section and
he responded in 25 minutes (Thanx Jon!). He pointed out tht I had a
link in /usr/include/ called gtk that was pointing at
/usr/include/gtk1.4. I deleted that an all compiled just fine...

Except I kept getting errors that said 'file:///etc/xml/catalog:error:
starting expected '<' not found. Hmm...my /etc/xml/catalog file was
empty (as always has been as far as I know). So I added a '<" to this
empty file and those spells seemed to compile fine now.

So what is supposed to be in /etc/xml/catalog? Talkng on #linuxhelp no
one had heard of it.

So I booted up gnome2..but there was no window manager loaded (I had
been using Enlighenment). Therefore the terminal could not get focus
and I could not type there. I explored the gconf program and tried
chaning the /usr/bin/sawfish to /usr/bin/enlightenment but no luck. I
just happene to be playing around with the mouse in the terminal and
looked at the properties for the keybindings. After loading up that
prefrence screen and hitting shift-cntrl-T, it opened up another tab
that i coudl type in. Note that that keybinding dod not work untill that
preferences dialog was viewed. Wierd. Perhaps looking at that dialog
refreshed or set teh keybindings. So i loaded up Metacity (ugly and
featureless) and everything worked. Almost...

I don't know how to change my window manager to enlightenment, so I am
just loading it instead of gnome-session. There are quite a few things
missing, for instance I have no calculator and recasting gnome-utils2
does not give it to me. My old gtk theme (DarkAlloy) does not work in
gnome2 of course, but when i load up an app that works with 1.4 it keeps
the basic colors of the theme, but not the textures. Wierd. I mean I
have the buttons hilighting to blue, but not the blue-metal that I would
expect.

Galeon no longer works as it is expecting a file that came with nautilis
for 1.4. And what really stumps me is that XMMS no longer works. My
sound card is blocked by something. I can't run mpg123 so I dont; think
it is really related to XMMS. What could be blocking my soundcard. I do
not think i have ess running.

I think Gnome2 is great, but not quite ready (this is a relese candidate
after all). Nautilus is FAST, in fact everything is faster.

Any comments or answers out there?:

Bearcat