sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>
  • To: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • Cc: Yoav Avitzour <avitzour AT princeton.edu>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...
  • Date: 23 Jul 2002 09:47:51 +0200

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 03:17, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Jon,
> I don't run gnome-session, I run enlightenment. I didn't see any
> reason
> to do so in gnome 1.4. Is there a reason to do so now? I hate taking up
> all that memory. Strangely when I run gnome-session, my DarkAlloy theme
> shows up correctly, except for a minor display problem on top-level
> parent menus.

If you're not running gnome-sesssion, you're really not running gnome ;)
It would take care of starting the stuff you need. In your specific case
you probably need to run the gnome-settings-deamon.
(oh, and gnome-session uses 7.8M on my box, that can't possibly be that
horrible ;))

> I did a mpg123 [file] out of X and it worked fine. So something must
> be
> blocking it. I am using the OSS driver. Keep in mind i am runing E, not
> gnome-session. It happends when I load a gnome-sesion too. As far as I
> can tell ESD is not running., and that's the ususl culprit.

I suspect the volume control applet. Try removing it from the panel

> Lastly, the recasting of gnome-utils brought back all my favorite
> applets and tools.

Hurray ;)

Jon