sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] License Choices

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] License Choices
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:55:43 +0400 (MSD)

Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>:

> Well, the disscussion list seems to have calmed down
again, so it's time
> for me to ask a question.
> What is the most annoying "feature" of Source Mage?
> Broken URLs in spells?

I nominate sed as the most broken URL of all times.
Firstly, alpha.gnu.org was unavailable, then it became
such, but before you get the file, please trying
finding the path that leads to it. I didn't.

> Broken spells?

Something with "pilot" in the name is said to brokn
during every cast --fix, and is recompiled with GCC 2
each time, and then it's broken again. I don't care to
test it with GCC 3, but someone who needs it should
probably look into it.

> Lack of spells?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there's still a
problem of spell being submitted just to the list, and
nobody's picking it up.

> Lack of support?

I've read through archives for almost three weeks, and
every request was answered by multiple parties.

> Lack of documentation?

Wiki is good, but it doesn't produce texi docs AFAIK,
so there's almost nothing which it's possible to
immediately include if we were to ship documentation.

> Non-responsivness of Source Mage team?
> Constant state of transition?

That's how it is for now I guess. Source Mage still
quite close to the top on DistroWatch,

> The ability to toast SM by ctrl-C'ing at the
appropriate point of an
> update?

The list commented on it that signals have to be used,
but is it in the plan for sorcery?

> Lack of implementation of Cowboy Neal's algorithms?

???

> Xenith's refusal to wear pants?

I'd refuse this too, but at my office we don't even
have casual Fridays, you always have to wear "business
casual", and that sucks when it's over 60% humidity
out there. Old American business, you know, at leas
they provide air conditioning and coffee ;-).

> Others?

I think sorcery development is slow. Don't get me
wrong guys, but hundreds of spells have MD5= in them,
and sorcery is ignorant of this as it used to be.
Humbly apologize if it was integrated less then two
days ago.

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Yeah, what he just said ;-).

Sergey.