sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>
  • To: Yoav Avitzour <avitzour AT princeton.edu>
  • Cc: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My experiance with Gnome2 so far...
  • Date: 23 Jul 2002 01:36:57 +0200

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 22:27, Yoav Avitzour wrote:
> You need to recompile galeon in order for it to work. The only problem
> is that galeon has in DEPENDS a bunch of gnome1.4 spells that you don't
> want to recast. I simply deleted the DEPENDS file and recompiled (cast
> -r -c) but I guess a better solution (a galeon2 spell?) is due.

1. There is nothing in galeons DEPENDS that should be a problem to
install alongside gnome 2. If it is then that's a bug with my spells
(but it works swell for me ;))

2. galeon2
a) has no tarball realease, i would have to roll my own
b) varies in stability from day to day (expect regular, but
no longer painfully frequent, crashes)
c) depends on a gtk2 port of mozilla that so far sucks
d) is _really_ hard to get to compile these days

and is thus not in any way suitable for general consumption. Use
galeon1 if you want a webbrowser, and galeon2 if you want to play and
don't mind the pain ;)

> know, this is NOT a release candidate, it is the actual release.

This is correct

Jon