permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 21:54:38 -0000

I might add perhaps that bones have a higher caloric value weight for weight than wood or coal. If we can't get the temperature in the oven high enough to bake bread we add a few bones and that always does the trick. It does not really matter that the bones are fresh either, they can be years old and lying wetly outside.
I am also fairly certain that the famous Chinese bone china was produced by using bones as fuel. I read somewhere that it was named like that because pieces of bone were added to the clay but this makes no sense since bone heated to a thousand degrees would be very brittle and soft and bone china is bone hard.
And also, it seems that the fuel used in the steam excavators that made the Suez canal consisted of coal and mummies by the hundreds of thousand. Not the rich Farao mummies but the ones of the common people where the dead were just wrapped up in cloth and dried out.
And to make it even more gruesome...After the battle of Waterloo the English collected the bodies of the fallen from all camps and turned them into fertilizer and it made England green.
John

I think this is essential, that we cooperate and work together to free ourselves from mined nutrients that are transported over long distances. That should be a high priority on our list of things to do. One thing I haven't done yet in my area is to test the rock dust that is available in our waste stream, for nutrients. Like granite dust, dust from tile, etc. Anybody have experience with that? I think we all should be tapping into local waste streams for nutrients as priority (and I know most of us are to some degree). We are documenting our waste stream bit by bit here in a database so people start thinking with it a lot more and know where to go, a group effort so that we're not doing double work. Thank you for sharing about the chelation. I am on it! We have a biochar cooker that will cook the bones very nicely.