permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tanya <tanyagarden@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 00:30:40 -0800

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com> wrote:
> There's a lot of phosphate in pee. And in this town, we either ship our pee
> (well, not MY pee :-) out of town on trucks (!) or inject it a couple
> thousand feet under the earth. Jeez. And then we strip mine and bring in
> rock from our WATERSHED. How stupid is that???!!!!!

How much do you use? And at what dilution?

In the past I've used some at a community garden plot, but I used it
sparingly -- 1:5 dilution at least -- and ended up putting most of it
in the compost.

I've been wondering about using it on some container plants. Maybe
1:10? No more than once a month?

This time of year, most of the produce I'm picking is leafy greens, so
I don't want to use it directly on the garden. Mache, arugula, various
kales.