permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 22:47:58 -0000

Steve does not have the slightest clue what he is talking about. I have
been on his idiotic list and heard the speeches. Just ignore his BS and
get on with your work. Noone hneeds to defend putting small or large
quantities of rock dust on farmland or gardens. Just forget that damn
fool. He is just trying to sell his and his associates products. He is a
snake oil salesman with no real knowledge or experience with hands on
natural gardening and farming. End of story.

Solomon also advocates the use of pesticides if not in his books (that I have not read) then definitely on his list.
He has a complete hatred of compost use because he started out his first garden on top of a potassium mine and recycling plants growing there for compost he got too much potassium in his soil and created an imbalance. What he does not want to understand is that there are very few places like that in the world.
Solomon believes that food should have a balanced mineral composition and I agree with that. But his first wife died supposedly because of imbalanced minerals in his vegetables and that was while he was writing his books.
To me the man seems unstable because he admitted once that he imported huge amounts of compost and manure for starting his present garden in Tasmania while telling all his readers how bad compost is.

It is really simple, if your soil is short of certain elements you need to get them somewhere else. But to keep those elements in place you need compost or you could loose them all again in no time especially that Solomon advocates simple, highly soluble, chemical, mineral salts to amend shortages. You are short of copper? Then just add half a ton of copper sulphate per acre and kill every worm in the ground and every fish in the river as soon as it rains for miles down stream. Rock dust does not do that.

John