permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:45:46 -0500

On 3/8/2013 11:29 AM, Koreen Brennan wrote:
If you saw the damage phosphate mining does, I don't think that
anybody would think it is ok. A waste product of the mining is
flouride - but an extra toxic form of it. Instead of paying to
dispose of this toxic substance, the phosphate mines have a sweet
deal - cities pay THEM for the flouride, to put it in our water. We
had a mafia election last election that booted out all the county
people who voted to remove flouride from our water (after a long
battle by citizen's groups), and they put some yes men in, illegally.
There are lawsuits, etc, gearing up. It's a dirty, mafia business.
They're supposed to clean the wetlands and other ecosystems that they
destroy but don't do it a lot of the time. They are polluting a very
integrated, porous and delicate ground water system here. The water
flows for miles and miles underground through caves, etc, in a karst
system. And most of the phosphate is used to keep toxic GMO
conventional ag going full blast. Their plants would keel over and
die without it.

That's horrible and much worse than I knew. However, you are talking
about Florida and the phosphate mines there. I don;t know about the
extent of damage caused by the NC, Tennessee and Idaho mines; maybe they are managed in a more ethical way observing environmental practices.

I still stand by using the rock phosphate product no matter where you
get it and I recommend that any gardener or farmer that needs it should
use it and not an inferior alternative but try to find a source that is
better than the Florida one which has the worst quality of all and takes longer to break down and provide plant-available P.